The Dish On Chicago Deep Dish



When Gennaro of Enduring Wanderlust invited me to write about the best Chicago local eats, Chicago pizza popped up immediately in my mind. We've got hot dogs and brats and steak but there's no food more quintessentially Chicago than deep dish pizza. My post inspired a lot of hungry comments on his blog so here it is again and please eat before reading!

For Chicago visitors, a taste of Chicago style pizza is a must. Noted for its thick crust and gut-busting piles of cheese and toppings, Chicago style pizza reflects the city's brash attitude and heavy Midwestern palate. There are hundreds of eateries in Chicago and out, that claim the best Chicago -style pizza but my recommendations for tourists are:

Pizzeria Due, (http://www.unos.com/) an iconic Chicago restaurant credited with being one of the first restaurants serving Chicago style, it's decor is basic and it's always crowded because the pizza is authentic. Due is the second restaurant that was opened because the popular Uno was constantly over-crowded. Unos has expanded into a restaurant group across the U.S. but Due is still one-of a-kind.

Giordanos (http://www.giordanos.com/) is another famous eatery that's favored by locals. There are over a half dozen city-wide locations but the one at 730 N. Rush offers lots of energy and people watching, in addition to excellent stuffed pizza.



Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. (http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/) Less well known but equally as memorable, Oven Grinder creates a signature pizza pot pie that's not to be missed. Located in a charming brownstone in Lincoln Park, this restaurant, like it's neighborhood, supplies an understated stylish vibe.

Comments

Jean-Luc Picard said…
I'm not a fan of pizza, but that is tasty.
OMG, that pizza looks so good.
Wendy said…
I'd like to live in a brownstone like that and have deep dish delivered.
I believe that I could have several slices of that right now.
You've ;made me hungry Fly Girl.
Hey lovely, did you tell me that you're gonna do "Friday Shoot-Outs"?? (Sorry, the mind goes with age). Hit me up on my blog so's I don't miss your answer.
I hope I'm remembering right. You'd have cool snaps lady :)

Steady On
Reggie Girl
kristine said…
you know, I've heard about deep dish pizza but I had no idea they were quite so deep! wow! that looks good.
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, it is tasty!

Ebony, it's good too!

Wendy,if you lived in that brownstone, you wouldn't have to have delivery, you would just walk downstairs!

Reggie, I warned you not to read the post before eating!

Kristine, it is truly deep pizza!
Yummmmmmmmmmmm! I love deep dish. In NY we get lots of options for Chicago styled pizzas, but Costa Rica, you're gonna laugh! Pizza hut is as deep dish as they come:)
Chicago is soooo on my list of cities to see. I've done US cross country twice, but never hit the north area because it was always in the winters!
Oh, well, I had my lunch so no need to worry.

(walks off in a pensive mood, hands behind his back, fingers interlaced)

'Hmmm... so, what's for dinner tonight? Hmmm... maybe I could sneak a little 'something' different in? Hmmm... How about some... hmmm... Chicago Pizza?!'

OK, I give up. Many thanks for torturing me.

From a food-masochist Cuban.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Sorry Marina, NY Chicago style offerings do not qualify! Trust me,you have to come to Chi-town to get the real thing!

Cubano, oh your sharp scorpio humor! I 'm afriad of anything that passes for Chicago style pizza in London!
Catherine said…
That was one dish I forgot to eat when I was in Chicago last summer!! next time I will..
jessiev said…
i love pizzeria due! we always get takeout, though - i don't like the crowds. great recap!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons