My Mexican Menu


(Warning: do not read on an empty stomach.) Mexico's regional cuisine offers a rich and varied tasting experience, it goes way beyond tacos and Margaritas.  One focus of my visit to Playa Mujeres was to document the traditional foods and Villa Del Palmar supplied lots of examples.  The state of Quintana Roo, where Playa Mujeres is located, emphasizes seafood from the coast, Mayan cooking techniques and fresh produce.  My first sample was tasty Sierra fish tosadas, pictured above. The fish was fresh and the addition of lime and avacado added just the right flavor punch.




Above, mole en pollo features a rich chocolate sauce with chicken, queso quesadillas represent simplicity at its best and barbacoa tostadas provide a zesty version of Mexican barbecued pork.



This plate represents a sampling of all my favorite dishes, above. There's stuffed calabaza or pumpkin, chile relleno or stuffed poblano peppers  and pescado veracruzano or grilled fish from Veracruz, Mexico with special spices and sauce.


This is my favorite breakfast, plantano frito or fried plantains, chilliquiles or fried tortillas tossed with cheese, sour cream and a delectable red or green sauce and slices of carambola or starfruit. I drank the green drink juego verde above the plate, about three times a day.  It's a lovely blend of nopale a cactus juice, celery, chaya or greens, orange and pineapple juices.


Finally,  this drink was offered to me the first day I arrived and I'm afraid it's not really authentically Mexican but it is interesting. It's called Miami Vice and it's a deadly blend of strawberry daiquiri and pina colada. I didn't finish mine but the people who did seemed to be falling off their swings.

Comments

Bluegreen Kirk said…
Ahhh, I can count on you to deliver the best posts with some delicious looking food. I actually read on an empty stomach and I'm sadly paying the price. How could you not finish that Miami Vice? LOL
Fly Girl said…
Kirk, you must heed my warnings! LoL
Angela said…
Wow, these look delicious, Mexican cuisine must be very nice, I've tried only once in France, I liked it but I'm sure in Mexico is a completely different experience. Thanks God I just had dinner :P
pnr status said…
Mexican cuisine must be very nice
Fly Girl said…
Angela, you would love the food in Mexico, I`m so glad you paid attention to my warning.

PNR, there`s nothing like fresh, authentic, Mexican food!
Zoe said…
This all looks so good! If only Mexican food was so good outside of Mexico!
Fly Girl said…
Zoe, there are places that you can get great Mexican food outside of Mexico, just not with the Mayan sun beaming on you! Thanks for dropping by.
Great reporting. Very mouthwatering, indeed -- and a good reminder that there's more to Mexican food than burritos!
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, thanks. Mexican food is so much more diverse than many people realize.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons