The First Thing To Do in Jamaica


Jamaica is a beautiful country on many levels. The landscape is gorgeous, the people are warm and the culture is rich. That's a lot to take in so you need to be fortified. As soon as my plane landed in Montego Bay, I headed to the little thatched roof bar right outside the airport. Lots of visitors figure that a rum drink is in order but that's only if you don't know any better. Knowledgeable travelers are aware of the requirements and that is that you must eat a patty as soon as you enter Jamaica. Patties are baked pastries filled with spicy beef, chicken or vegetables and they are the official Jamaican snack. You must sink your teeth into one of these crusty delights before you'll even begin to be prepared for the experience called Jamaica. Washing it down with cool June plum juice or jelly coconut water is also a good idea but not a necessity. I savored the last crumbs of my patty as classic rock steady tunes played in the background and I felt a connection to the island. Now I was ready.

Comments

Couldnt agree more! We also get patties at the airport right when we land n depart! That little newspaper store has the reach in thing with them ready! Chicken is our favorite!

Hannah @ Getting Stamped
www.gettingstamped.com
Fly Girl said…
Hannah, I'm so glad you're up on the Jamaican requirements! Chicken is my fave too. Thanks for dropping by.
Catherine said…
the forceful fortification of food - very important for the arduous sightseeing to follow....Greetings from Nice
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, exactly!
Ah, me luv me patties, man! :-) I used to have the chicken ones when I used to work at the arts centre years ago. It was either that or jerk chicken with rice'n'peas. Nuff said. Beautiful post. I will go to Jamaica one day, I have no doubts about it.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, Oh I'm not surprised! Cuban and Jamaican food are similar. Hopefully, I'll get to Cuba by the time you get to Jamaica!
What a great way to start off, Rosalind. Over here in Chile, you could do something similar with a cheese or meat filled empanada!
Fly Girl said…
Andrew,
Patties are actually the Jamaican version of empanadas.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons