Next Stop; Ghana!


In all my years as a travel writer, I have never anticipated a journey as much as I have for my journey to Ghana, West Africa. I will be taking my first steps on the African continent but this is an extra special trip for many other reasons. I will be on assignment for Ebony Magazine , covering preliminary activities for Homecoming 2019, which is the historic commemoration of the African Diaspora returning to Africa exactly 400 years after the first recorded landing of a slave ship in Virginia. Thanks to the efforts of The Adinkra Group, a cultural resource organization, I will meet the President of Ghana, Nana Akufo Addo at his official residence, Jubilee House. I will also meet Chiefs and Queen Mothers in Kumasi, Cape Coast and Accra. If that's not enough excitement, I will have my DNA revealed by sponsor African Ancestry at the Cape Coast Castle, which was the main British hub for the horrific transatlantic slave trade from 1665-1807. Ghana was the first African nation to declare independence from a European colony in 1957 and the country's significance for African Americans is boundless. I will be sampling the Ghanaian dishes red red, kenkey and fried fish, banku and tillapia and especially, kelewele.  I'll be dancing to afro beat at clubs and also taking in the local art scene at the Chale Wote Festival.  In other words, I will be embracing as much of Ghanaian life as possible. Please stay tuned.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons