Turks and Caicos Kombucha


I don't discuss it too often but I'm kind of, sort of, a healthy food fan. I don't drink coffee or anything caffeinated, don't eat meat and rarely indulge in fast food. I'm basically a pescatarian who sometimes eats poultry. So aside from my love of sugar (which has lessened over the years) I try to keep it healthy. On most of my travels, I like to sample the local cuisine while keeping it as fresh and wholesome as possible. While I was in Turks and Caicos, that meant fish, veggie patties and salad since I wasn't able to try the national dish of peas and grits. But I was lucky to discover another local specialty; kombucha in exciting tropical flavors was being hand crafted by the owners of my Airbnb.

Kombucha or booch, as locals call it, is fermented tea with loads of probiotics and health benefits.  As a tea connoisseur, I love drinking kombucha as an alternative to my regular teas. Regina and Jack run Island Raw to create juices and kombucha from local fruits and spices. I sipped the hibiscus ginger and felt immediately energized. I also tried the pineapple turmeric ginger, strawberry lemon and sour sop!  Drinking fresh, tangy kombucha with the backdrop of Grace Bay was a soothing and memorable experience. You can pick up Island Raw kombucha at local stores around Providenciales or directly from the shop in Grace Bay.  Are you a kombucha fan?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons