A.O. (After Obama)



I'm still numb. I live in Chicago ,where I have seen Barack Obama many times before he started his presidential election campaign. I took my 12-year-old daughter and canvassed for him in Gary, Indiana, knocking on doors and venturing into trailer parks. By the end of October, I knew that he would win, if not just because people are suffering in this country in ways that they never have before. I walked into my polling area and was greeted with two different methods of voting--paper or electronic. I didn't take this lightly. I know of many places where the privilege of voting is not guaranteed and there are no such choices. But I hesitated. Which would be the most fool-proof? Which ballot would be guaranteed as counted? I did not take this lightly either. A poll watcher saw my hesitation and explained that both methods were backed up with an electronic disc. I chose electronic because I figured my photos would come out better.



I took a photo of my voting card.


I took a photo of the historic ballot.


After I cast my ballot and attached my "I voted" sticker, I drifted out of the polling place, dazed. A woman stopped to ask how long the lines were. She had voted early and waited for 3 hours. We talked for an hour about history, injustice and how change would have to come, one way or another. I feel the change already. People are smiling and giddy everywhere. I have received calls and congratulations from all over the world. It's like we all participated in a global push for change and it worked. It's here. It's just going to take a while for me to absorb it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, it was quite a day. I was in a long line. I took a book to read while I wait, but I was too distracted to read. I ended up talking to a couple in line about the election, life, and Jesus. It was nice.
Anonymous said…
I know, this election has inspired a lot of thought-provoking discussions about our lives! It is nice.
Anonymous said…
It's like it's our election too.
Anonymous said…
It's all of our election! The world really did help build in the push to get Obama in.
Anonymous said…
It is truly the dawn of a new era and I can't wait for it to start... I was celebrating in a tiny town in Mexico somewhat overshadowed by the tragic plane crash in DF, but a truly historic moment. VIVA OBAMA
Anonymous said…
LOL @ people taking pics as back-up in case anything went down on Nov 4. For some reason, all the comment notifications sent to my email went into the spam folder, so I didn't even know people had responded to my last few posts. Anyway, thanks for keeping up with a bruh. I've been captured by Sao Paulo, so I think that'll be the definite next move. I love my peeps in Salvador, but I'm not the type for chillin on a hammock, caipirinha in hand, letting the days roll by. I need the big city! Heading down to the big B for Christmas and New Years this year. Gotta get my whites ready for Mama Iemanja!

(word verification: sweede - a TRUE Swedish person)
Anonymous said…
Christmas and New Year's in Brazil? I'm jealous, even if you're going to business-focused Sao Paulo!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons