Bajan Street Signs




Wandering through Barbados, I was struck by the wit and color of the street signs. Humor and welcoming vibes seemed to ring out from these brightly colored placards, in ways that I never see in the U.S. Even the dollar store sign looked inviting with a wash of sunny hues. The City Woman sign caught my attention because it captures the basic Caribbean sensibility of living practically but with joy. Fish frys are a cultural constant on the island but I was partial to the red sign above because it's my name, minus a "d" at the end. My favorite of course, is the Barbados Jack sign, nothing beats booty!




Comments

Anonymous said…
I love these signs... in Mexico there are wonderful signs all done by hand too.. I will try and post them at some point...
Anonymous said…
Thanks Catherine, I think signs reflect culture almost as much as food and dialect. I'll look for the Mexico signs.
Anonymous said…
True, the signs really do stand out down in Barbados.
Anonymous said…
Yes, it's such an interesting culture, on so many levels!
Anonymous said…
One of the kindest people I've ever met was from Barbados. I need to visit.
Anonymous said…
Yes you do! It's a great place to relax and meet new people.
Anonymous said…
love that booty sign!
Anonymous said…
I know! It's hilarious, it was in downtown Bridgetown and I had to immediately stop to take a photo.
Anonymous said…
Hohoho...what an unique place...
Anonymous said…
OMG! I see you have a pic of the dollar store in Speightstown. My best friend was the manager there.This is so neat.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons