Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Hot Crustacean Band


My daughter is blasting the Little Mermaid soundtrack and I'm reminded how much I love Sebastian, the wise, funny, very Caribbean crab.  Watching the video, I realize what amuses me so much about Sebastian and his underwater world is that he actually reminds me of people I know and places I've been.   I've met a lot of bossy characters in seemingly mythical countries in my travels.  Eventhough it's just a cartoon, art really does imitate life in a lot of ways.  It also doesn't hurt that the steel pan rhythm is hot. Check it out:


12 comments:

Tiffany said...

I loved this song . :)

Wendy said...

I have to say Disney does a good job of making things appealing to adults also. Very clever from a biz perspective.

Fly Girl said...

Tiffany, I love the song too.

Wendy, you're right. And I'm not a huge fan of Disney but this is one of my favorite Disney films.

Ekua said...

This was always my favorite Disney cartoon growing up. I would rent the video over and over again until I convinced my mom to just buy it :)

eden said...

I watched the video with my kids many times and never get bored of it.This is one of our favourite Disney Movies.I love the song too.

Have a great weekend!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Can you believe I've never seen this film? I've just never 'done' Disney.

A Cuban In London said...

Sebastian, with an accent on the second 'a' in Spanish, always cracks me up. I saw The Little Mermaid both in the English original and in the dubbed Spanish version and I was pleased that the guy doing Sebastian's voice in Spanish got it right. Thanks for the memories! And thanks also for your contribution to the debate on feminism, it's been a pleasure reading your insights. :-)

Greetings from London.

Fly Girl said...

Ekua, it's been in our video library for quite some time.

Eden, I know, it's a movie that always manages to entertain!

Rachel, yes I can believe. As I've said I'm not a huge Dinsey fan in general but this is an exception.

Cubano, so glad that you got the bilingual Mermaid experience!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Quite delightful.

Fly Girl said...

Jean-Luc, there's nothing like a melodic babd of sea creatures!

Cate said...

Haven't seen this movie, will have to order it from Netflix.

Fly Girl said...

Cate, you must, must, see it!