Swept Up in Sugar City



Excitement swirled around my brain when I was scheduled for a press trip to St. Kitts, arranged by St. Kitts Marriott Resort and Diamond PR.  I had never been to St. Kitts, didn't know anybody who had but for some reason, I longed to go. Something about this tiny Eastern Caribbean island, the smallest country in the Western Hemisphere, pulled me to it and I had no intentions of resisting.  I wasn't shocked that it was love at first sight.  I loved the lush landscape, dotted with trees, flowers and abundant vegetation  (and scampering monkeys) everywhere I looked.




I loved the rolling hills and gentle slopes, topped by the highest point at 3792 feet on Mt. Liamuiga.



I loved the powdery beaches, blessed with the warm waves of the Caribbean Sea and framed by mountain peaks.


Most of all, I loved the warm-hearted people. St. Kitts might be nicknamed Sugar City for the sugar plantations that dominated its industry for centuries, but I think it also reflects the disposition of  the island's people. I was greeted with smiles and invited to stay everywhere I went. Kelly, a fisherman above, insisted that I taste freshly caught fish prepared by local cooks, after just one meeting.  Upon my arrival to the island, the customs officer shook his head when he discovered I was staying in St. Kitts a scant few days. "You need to stay longer in St. Kitts." He was right and I plan to remedy the situation as soon as I can.

Comments

Jean-Luc Picard said…
Super piucture of you there!
Sugar city with sweet people. What else could one want? many thanks for your travelogues. The photos, as usual, are fantastic.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, thanks!

Cubano, nothing else except maybe bush tea, red snapper and some coconut fudge, which is what I enjoyed during my stay in St. Kitts.
eden said…
What a beautiful place! Looks like you had a great time. Love all your photos.
Fly Girl said…
Eden, thanks, it's a beautiful place on many levels.
I was waiting for this post. Longing for it really. Maybe as much as I long for my island home. Sweet Sugar City indeed. Shame that it's been 10 years.

I am so happy you enjoyed and shared the experience and pics!

Thank you for all you do here and there.
Fly Girl said…
Tyneshia, thanks so much for dropping by. I'm so sorry that it's been 10 years, I don't thank I could stay away from St. Kitts that long and I've only just discovered it!
Catherine said…
lucky you to visit such a sweet place - looks fabulous and thanks for the tour...
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, yes, I am very grateful for my luck and St. Kitts!
Unknown said…
the pics are gorgeous. i love the beach shot. how fun to see scampering monkeys running around. you are blessed young lady!!
Fly Girl said…
Roschelle, thanks, it was fun to see the monkeys. You have inspired my next post!
For some reason the comments box in your post about monkeys is not working properly. However you already had one comment when I popped by. All I can think of is that my computer is playing up.

I laughed my head off with that tale about the monkey just taking a small bite of the guava to spite humans. And you're lucky! They look really friendly. In KL, we saw cute, little monkeys but my brother-in-law advised us to stay away from them, because they will take your jewellery or anything shiny. It goes to show. Maybe we should take the St Kitts monkeys to Malaysia. :-)

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Ahh Cubano, it's mercury retrograde I'm afraid. Lot of computer, travel and communications mishaps. Yes, St. Kitts like shiny things too, Junie was trying to eat my necklace and my hair!
Lola said…
Sounds like a beautiful place! Would love to travel more around the islands.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons