Taking Taino Danser To Palomino Island


The Tainos were the original inhabitants of Puerto Rico and vestiges of their culture still linger in food, music and names. We hopped on the ferry, Taino Danser, to ride over to the private Palomino Island, owned by El Conquistador Resort.


The 8-minute ferry ride offers glimpses of nearby Vieques and Culebra islands.


Palomino island is 100 acres of unspoiled beaches, crystalline water and lush greenery. My kids required 3-hours straight of  splashing in the ocean, until we were all covered in salt and tanner skins.  The local cafe provided a relaxing respite of cool drinks and sandwiches but my favorite part was the iguanas and roosters freely roaming through the tables.


This rooster is extremely confident, he didn't seem to consider that perhaps he might wind up on one of the tables he roamed through. I know many places where roosters and iguanas are treated as tasty "bush" meat.

Comments

The Tainos were also one of our main tribes in Cuba, along with the Carbes. Great photos.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Yes, Tainos and Caribs first lived in most of the Caribbean region. I'll do a post about them soon.
Looks lovely - and iguanas are so cute :)
Fly Girl said…
Rachel, I don't know if I'd call them cute! Maybe interesting or fascinating..
Catherine said…
looks an idyllic spot to chill out for a few days - quite beautiful and interesting pints about the Taino culture - I was unaware of this aspect of history...
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, I wish I were there now!
Tainos so rich in culture.
Fly Girl said…
Tiffany, it really is.
Fly Girl this place looks great! Is that just a beach or an actual resort. I have a timeshare through bluegreen resorts but would you recommend this for just spouses or the whole family?
Fly Girl said…
Waist, it's the private beach that's part of the El Conquistador Resort. It's a mostly family focused place but just spouses would have a good time too if they don't mind be around a lot of kids most of the time.
Ah, beach!!! Anything better than snow and slush in Toronto! I'm so sick of this winter.
Fly Girl said…
Jen, I so here you. Chicago has been the same winter drudgery as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons