Fun in the Sun Without The Burn


I love the sun. It's no coincidence that much of my traveling takes place in climates where the sun blazes nonstop. Nothing encourages exploration and adventure quite like a sunny day, as long as you're equipped to handle it. Besides sunscreen and sun glasses, I always pack sun hats for any tropical escapade. And by sun hats, I don't mean the geeky safari or outback variety. You can have sun protection and style all in one hat and I have a carefully curated arsenal to prove it. The only problem is that not all fashionable sun hats are crushable and easy to pack so I'm always on the lookout for more.  So when I received a  review sample of  the La Scala Collezione sun hat with SPF 50 sun protection, I was a little excited.  I wasn't a lot excited because I was skeptical of the claim that this hat would block 97.5 percent of the sun's ultraviolet rays. With a cute ric-rac design, cotton and polyester fabric and a bendable four-inch brim, this little chapeau just didn't look that powerful. So I took it on the ultimate test--Mexico in the heat of the summer.

There's something about the intense Mexican sun that always scorches me, I don't care how much sunscreen or how many hats that I wear. I have never stepped a toe into Mexico without coming home with some part of my body burned. I wore the La Scala hat in 98 degree heat as I waltzed through Isla Mujeres, dripping in sweat.  Guess what? After a total of nine hours in the sun, I wasn't even lightly singed. Very impressive for a hat that's  also cute and packable. I wish I could tell you that I finally made it home from Mexico without any sunburn but I can not. The one day I didn't wear the hat, I promptly burned my nose and cheeks (slathered with sunscreen). I probably need to order one of these hats in every color. They cost $30 and can be ordered at womens-hats.com. What are some of your sun protection tips?


Comments

katie said…
That IS an adorable hat!

Every hat that I found in Hawaii was so big and goofy that I gave up and wore a baseball hat. ;)
Fly Girl said…
Katie, thanks. The problem with sun hats is finding the right sized brim for your face that gives enough protection. Baseball hats can give some protection as well but not as much as a brim that covers the entire face.
Jean-Luc Picard said…
I think you've got the right sun protection there.
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, that hat really works well.
Angela said…
Lovely hat, I had a similar one in Brazil, here I wear hats only during winter for the cold, but I know I should wear during summer too. Sometimes when it's too hot I feel even hotter with a hat! I should try this one, gives a breezy impression :)
Fly Girl said…
Angela, I know what you mean. The key is to wear a breathable hat of straw, linen or cotton. This hat didn't make me feel hot at all and it shielded me from all that sun.
Catherine said…
I love those hats - and I am currently living in a place where the sun is stronger than in Mexico - didn't believe it was possible - do they deliver those cute hats to here in France??
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, I think the beauty of the South of France is worth the intense sun although I never thought it was stronger than Mexico's. I don't know about French hat delivery but I'm sure they already have chic versions in Monte Carlo.
A great reminder for all that sun damage is something to avoid -- and the hats do look nice. In my case, I often just use a cap, as it's so easy to put away, but dermatologists would say that more protection is needed. I do also have a series of Australian outback style hats, a type of cowboy hat, if you're unfamiliar with them -- and the brand I use is crushable/foldable.

Love that portrait shot, too!
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, I think only Australian's have any business wearing outback hats. You all know the proper attitude. They look ridiculous on everyone else.
Living here in FL I can agree that hats and sunscreen are a must. Love the hat too bad they dont really make anything with me in mind. Guess I'll stick with baseball caps.
Fly Girl said…
Thomas, baseball hats do give some protection and if they fit your style, that's even better.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons