Homage To Honeyboy


Last week, the world lost a wonderfully illuminating spirit and the last living link to the Delta blues. David "Honeyboy" Edwards was a legendary musician and beloved Chicago blues icon. There was such wisdom and skill that flowed through his sharply dressed, 96-year-old frame that I felt like he was divinely guided. He is mourned as the last Delta bluesman and the last connection to Robert Johnson, Honeyboy witnessed the "King of the Delta Blues" sip his last drop of poisoned whiskey but he represents so much more than that. I'm still struggling to articulate this devastating loss and what it means to blues in particular and American music in general. As the blues community battles for our heritage and birthright, I believe that Honeyboy will be assisting us.  Here is my favorite Honeyboy quote:

"Blues ain’t never going anywhere. It can get slow, but it ain’t going nowhere. You play a low-down dirty shame slow and lonesome, my mama dead, my papa across the sea I ain’t dead but I’m just supposed to be blues. You can take that same blues, make it up-tempo, a shuffle blues, that’s what rock ‘n roll did with it. So blues ain’t going nowhere."
David "Honeyboy" Edwards 1915-2011

Comments

Jean-Luc Picard said…
I didn't hear of him before, but sounmds a fine singer.
Fly Girl said…
Jean-Luc, Honey Boy wasn't well know outside of blues circles but he was an extremely important musician historically.
I'd heard of him but never seen any clips of him performing. I'll be forever grateful to you because you just introduced to a genius. His stage command is masterful. Many thanks.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, I'm happy to have introduced Honeyboy's music to you but I'm sorry it's after he's left us.
Also sorry to hear the news and not have know about him till now. He did pretty well, though, to get to that age. A fine portrait and a stirring video to honour him.
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, reaching 96 is a big coup for anyone but especially a musician who lived through what Honeyboy did.
MinnieRunner said…
I never really knew him. But from what you have said, seems that he is really that relevant to the music industry.

May God bless the repose of his soul.
Fly Girl said…
Minnie, thanks for your kind wishes.
Catherine said…
that sounds like a real sad loss - what a lovely tribute to him and the photo is a wonderful portrait...
Fly Girl said…
Catherine, thanks. I'm still really sad that he's gone.
Angela said…
Beautiful picture, I love blues, I'm sure this is a real loss..
Fly Girl said…
Angela, it is but his legacy continues.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons