Shave Ice And All That's Nice


Kaua'i is an island that boasts several taste highlights that are a must for any visitor. You must try Hanalei poi, you must nibble a Pukka Dog and you must sample shave ice.  Now JoJo's is the place that will usually top shave ice lists or maybe Halo Halo but I didn't get a chance to go to either. Instead, I was advised to visit  Uncle's Shave Ice, a new treat shop in Koloa.  Shave ice might look like typical sno cone fodder but it's not. Good shave ice is literally shaved into a fluffy, snow like texture, it shouldn't be crunchy.  I tried an ice that was covered with my favorite lillikoi (passion fruit) fl as well as guava syrups. It literally melted on my tongue. The popular Hawaiian style is to fill the bottom of the ice cup with rich, macadamia nut ice cream but I nixed that. I figured I'd be overwhelmed by all the strong flavors. As it was, it took me hours to finish the heady fruity flavors of my shave ice. Yes, it melted but it was still tasty!  What was your last memorable travel taste experience?



Comments

Oneika said…
My teeth are extremely sensitive to cold but you are making me crave one of these right now.
Fly Girl said…
Oneika, my teeth are sensitive too which is why I loved that you don't bite these ices, they just dissolve in your mouth.
Shave ice. Now, there's a new one for me! I love how you "discover" novelties on our behalf! :-) Great post.

Greetings from London.
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, I'm sure that you would love it on a hot Havana night!
Angela said…
All these "musts", what a sacrifice! I would love to sacrifice myself and try them all ;)
Fly Girl said…
Angela, it was truly hard work but I survived!
Shave ice, yummm...I didn't know it was such a specialty in Hawaii, but I had a lot of it when I was visiting Japan. I see it more than a drink than something similar to ice cream, and in summer it's the best thing you can find to ease the heat!
How nice for a hot day... and never mind the calories! You ask about my last travel taste sensation, Rosalind? Now that would be crab cakes in California and a salmon burger in Vancouver.
katie said…
Shave ice is the one thing i DIDN'T try while i was in Hawaii. I still regret it. I didn't purposely avoid it, I just kept forgetting. Can you mail some of that shaved ice to me? hahahahaha. :)
Fly Girl said…
Bizarre, Japanese culture influences Hawaii in a lot of ways so that's not surprising. Thanks for dropping by.

Andrew, crab cakes and salmon burgers sound like something I'd like to have now.

Katie, the ice is in the mail!
smith said…
i like to go late night with my friends
Jean-Luc Picard said…
Shave ice sounds delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons