Feasting On Fried Pickles


 For me, one of the joys of travel is uncovering local delicacies. Discovering new and unusual dishes supplies just as much fun as exploring new destinations. So when I visited Greenville, South Carolina for the Euphoria food and music fest, I didn't expect much food discovery since I'm very familiar with Carolina cuisine. From shrimp -n- grits, to Hoppin John and Benne wafers, I thought I'd tried it all.  Then I heard something about fried pickles. They fry everything in the South and I've heard of fried pickles but I never actually tasted one. I was immediately directed to Carolina Ale House to sample this local specialty.


I'm not a huge pickle fan and don't eat a lot of fried food but I couldn't pass up the chance to taste something new. I envisioned whole dill pickles battered like hush puppies but that's not what I was served.


I was presented with a plate of delicate dill pickle chips, fried into crunchy goodness. I planned to try  just a few since I had already been wallowing in Southern food wizardry at Euphoria.  They tasted spicy and sour and salty. I munched on a few and a few more. And a few more. Between a discussion with my friend and Southern food expert Andre, on whether chips or spears were better or whether the correct term for this snack is "frickles,"I polished off the entire plate.  I didn't think I'd like them that much but fried pickles are another food discovery that I'm glad that I experienced. Have you discovered any new food on your travels?


Comments

Nancie said…
I have never had fried pickles, but I would definitely try them. I love discovering new dishes to try. It's definitely one of the joys of travel!
Fly Girl said…
Nancie, you should try them if you get the chance! Thanks for visiting.
You certainly Iook happy in that photo with the pickles, Rosalind! My own favourite food discovery lately is the Chinese influenced Peruvian food style known as "chifa", and especially their seafood rice or nooodle dishes that I've had both here in Santiago and in Peru.
Fly Girl said…
Andrew, Chifa sounds fascinating! I hope you do a post about it.
Dominique said…
I'm a big fried pickle fan (I've got a list on my Yelp account devoted to places where I've found fried pickles on the menu!). My favorites right now are spears with a fried coating that contains a hint of Franks Hot Sauce that are on the menu at a pub just up the street from me in metro Detroit :)
Fly Girl said…
Dominique, I never thought you could find fried pickles in Detroit! That's an interesting fave food to have.
Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family! :-)

Greetings from London.
Unknown said…
They are delicious... have you had fried green beans/string beans? Yummy!!!
Fly Girl said…
Cubano, thanks so much and the same to your familia!

Roschelle, I'm not a huge fan of fried foods so I have passed up the fried green beans but the pickles really surprised me.

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons