Sanibel Island Scenes


When I first arrived on Sanibel Island, I was sitting at a Tiki Bar, waiting for my room to be ready when a couple asked me if I was from Alaska. I had on a light sweater, a scarf and jeans. I explained that their theory was pretty close (I live in Chiberia). The temps were in the low 70's and I wasn't hot at all but that's not the point. Sanibel is all about the beach, the sun and wearing tropical clothes, regardless of the weather. It's like a rule. So I explored Sanibel and Captiva beaches, nature reserves and bike paths as one of the only people in pants, lol. I loved delving into these natural spots, and they were always mostly deserted. Cayo Costa shown above, was my favorite beach. It was filled with piles of shells and a beautiful shoreline that I walked for two hours straight.


 Sanibel's beaches were scattered with striking sand sculptures like this mermaid.


On the Sanibel Heritage Trail, this sign warning of an alligator caught my eye, as well as the scenic backdrop.


At J.N. Ding Darling Wildlife Preserve, I spotted this flock of birds included roseate spoonbills, which are the pink birds of Florida.


On Captiva, I was enchanted by the old school architecture and rainbow colored buildings. Sanibel and Captiva are really about the natural environment, especially beaches. I scooped up lots of shells and even learned that there is a seashell horoscope and mine is a thin, translucent shell called a jingle or mermaid's toenail.   I'm holding a Florida fighting conch below, which was given to me by a fellow shell collector on Cayo Costa.  Considered the best place to collect shells in North America, and boasting no street lights or stop lights, Sanibel and Captiva are the ultimate in laid back island lifestyle.


Comments

Nice blog... Mind if we post it on www.BlackTravelTube.com ? #BlackTravelTube
Fly Girl said…
Black Travel Tube, thanks so much! Yes, of course you can publish it! Please let me know when you do so I can check it out!

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons