Copper Containers and COVID-19



I ordered a copper water bottle from Copper H20 two years ago. Besides being pretty, the bottle makes tap water alkaline, which neutralizes acidity in the body and boosts immunity. I've also followed the Indian wellness system of Ayurveda for years and know the benefits of copper on overall health.  So I was happy to sip from my copper bottle during yoga class and during hot days at the beach.


Fast forward to 2020 and the horrors of COVID-19.  I hadn't even used my copper bottle because I grab it when I travel or go to yoga class and that is not happening now. So when Jessica from Copper H20 contacted me about reviewing the bottle, I laughed. She didn't realize that I already owned a copper bottle and I had overlooked the benefits of using it during the Coronavirus pandemic.  There have been a lot of studies about the antiviral properties of copper and how it can help combat coronavirus.  Copper was shown to kill 90% of bacteria after repeated exposure during a 2008 Environmental Protection Agency study.  I hadn't thought about copper's strength in killing bacteria when Covid-19 hit but it all came back to me with a quickness. When I visited villages in India, copper bowls and containers were always scattered around houses and courtyards. The vessels were filled with water and stood for hours so that the water would become purified and the contaminants killed. Besides strengthening immunity, copper is also believed to have positive effects on skin.   I did not consider the effects of a large container compared to my 20 oz bottle but I wanted to find out.  So Jessica sent me a copper pitcher from Copper H20's sister site, Shantiva. The company donates fifteen percent of profits to non-profit organizations to supply clean drinking water to developing nations. I've been drinking from my copper pitcher and bottle for two months and here's what I discovered:


                      THE BENEFITS OF DRINKING FROM COPPER CONTAINERS

I've always thought that water from my copper water bottle tasted smoother and fresher, sort of like spring water.  I usually sip the contents from my bottle quickly so having a pitcher makes a difference in the amount of water I drink. I typically drink two 2.1 liters from the pitcher, as opposed to one or two servings from the 20-ounce bottle. (I also drink several liters of tea per day)  Copper H20 recommends storing the water in the pitcher for eight hours to make sure that the water becomes alkaline. I have a Britta water filtration pitcher and water from my copper pitcher tastes sweeter to me. Another part of the appeal is the sheer beauty of the pitcher. It's handcrafted by artisans from a single piece of copper and hammered so there are bright textured grooves that glow when it catches the light. (Those grooves increase the surface area that touches the water.)  It really qualifies as a piece of functional art.

As far as the physical effects of drinking from my copper vessels, my ayurvedic dosha is vata, which means I have a sensitive digestive system and dry skin and hair. It's probably because I'm drinking an increased amount of water but my digestive system has been more balanced and my skin less dry. Even after constantly washing my hands, they are not as dry as they were before I started using the copper containers. The most important reason that I'm using these is for immune protection. I believe that the anti-viral and antioxidant benefits make my COVID -19 immunity regime even stronger. In addition to sipping the copper-infused water all day, I pour room temperature water from my pitcher to drink with all my supplements. I used to buy alkaline water for the more effective hydration and mineral benefits  but having a copper pitcher means I don't have to.  I think that Copper H20 water bottles and Shantiva's copper pitchers are high-quality products worth checking out, regardless of whether you follow Ayurveda or not. I bought my mom the copper bottle and tongue cleaner to encourage her to drink more water and get rid of buildup on her tongue and it really helps. The company has also just introduced self-sterilizing copper masks. Have you ever used a copper vessel?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling Through A Liberian Childhood

Puerto Rico's Taino Culture

Switzerland's Fete Des Vignerons